The MM2H participant may import one motorcar, which belongs to him/her from his/her country of citizenship or where he/she last domiciled. He/she will be exempted from paying import duty, excise duty and sales tax on the imported motorcar.
The MM2H participant may purchase one new motorcar made or assembled in Malaysia. He/she will be exempted from paying excise duty and sales tax on the new motorcar.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The applicant is a participant of MM2H approved by Immigration Department of Malaysia.
- Application to IMPORT a motorcar from the participant’s country of citizenship/last domicile must be done within a period of six months from the date the MM2H visa is endorsed on his/her passport. The condition for such importation is that the MM2H participant should be the owner of the motorcar for at least 6 months prior to obtaining the MM2H visa, as evidenced in the motorcar registration document. Approvals are required from Ministry of Finance, customs and Transport Department for eligibility.
- Application to PURCHASE a new motorcar made or assembled in Malaysia must be done within a period of one year from the date the MM2H visa is endorsed on his/her passport. Do not make an outright purchase of the motorcar before obtaining approval for tax/duty exemption from the Ministry of Finance. However, a booking for a motorcar may be made prior to obtaining approval from the Treasury.
- Importation or purchase of motorcar must be for personal use only and not for commercial use.
- The MM2H participant is eligible for tax/duty exemption for only ONE car.
- Participants are only allowed to sell their imported/locally purchased car after 2 years’ stay on the programme.
- Tax/Duty exempted motorcars which are subsequently sold or transferred will be subjected to import duty, excise duty and sales tax according to the prevailing rates.
- For the purpose of MM2H, a motorcar includes a saloon car, a multipurpose vehicle (MPV), a sports utility vehicle (SUV) and 4-wheel drive vehicle. It excludes commercial vehicles such as vans, buses and lorries.
- Starting from November 2010, application for tax exemption for locally purchased and imported car can only be done online. Manual application is not acceptable.
- Proper planning is essential to take advantage of the MM2H car tax incentives as it takes time for the application and completion of procedures, be it local purchase or importation of cars.
- For purchase of locally assembled car, it may take up to 6 months if the car is of a new model, including the approvals from various government departments. For importation, the approvals may require up to 2 months.
- CKD tax-free car prices vary with each model due to differences in amount of tax incentives. Please email us at email@example.com for the price list.